Traditional industrial robots have been deployed in manufacturing facilities for decades, but because of practical and economic limitations, manufacturers have only automated approximately 10% of factory tasks, with the other 90% left to humans. Whilst enabling a high- volume, low-mix model of manufacturing, traditional models fail to meet the demands of low -volume, high- mix manufacturing that defines today’s increasingly personalised and customised world.
New Zealand companies interested in automated packaging systems and productive processes now have access to local expertise, with the announcement by Impact Robotics that John Brooks Ltd will be its Kiwi representative.
Impact, which distributes Rethink Robots in the Australasian market, says John Brooks will help New Zealand food manufacturers gain flexibility by deploying its smart collaborative Sawyer robot, which has the ability to adapt to real-world variability, change applications quickly and perform tasks like people do.
With offices in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, John Brooks has been providing leading technologies to industrial clients throughout New Zealand since 1964 and has helped manufacturers add efficiency and flexibility into their operations.
“This is a fantastic opportunity for New Zealand companies looking to adopt global, smart manufacturing technologies and drive operational improvement in terms of productivity, profitability and safety,” Impact’s general manager David Birnbaum says. “Our experience deploying the cobots, in a range of different applications, has been overwhelmingly positive, with customers reporting notable efficiency gains and short equipment payback times.”
John Brooks managing director Murray Brooks says the company is excited by the new representation, with the ability to bring the next evolution of automation technology to New Zealand industry. “These cobots will improve productivity by allowing workers to train the robots to carry out tasks and use this leading technology for the overall benefit of their company,” he says.